H. E. L. P.
(Happily Extending Love to People)
By Oleda Atkinson
Servant Evangelism Outreach Ideas
Objective: Reach the unsaved and unchurched through servant evangelism
1. Collect wicker baskets and decorate colorfully. Fill with homemade cookies
and attach a business card that says, "Jesus loves you.” Include
appropriate scripture and information about your church. Deliver to designated
2. Deliver groceries to homes in a depressed section of your city.
3. Line grocery carts with heavy plastic, layer them with ice and
sodas and give to people who attend your town’s July Fourth
parade or some other community event.
4. Provide a free community Thanksgiving dinner. Issue and distribute
tickets to senior citizen apartments, local senior center, homeless,
etc., for the number of people your building will accommodate.
5. During Christmas season, prepare baked items, on decorative plates, add
a note from the church and deliver to homes in church neighborhood.
6. Line up a "Senior Help Day.” Volunteers assist older
people get ready for winter.
7. Ask members to prepare a "Servant Evangelism” container
to hold loose change. At the end of six months, collect coins, exchange
for paper currency at bank and go grocery shopping with the proceeds
to buy canned food. Donate to a community food drive or homeless shelter.
8. Adopt single parent and contribute home, car repairs, baby sitting,
9. Commit to visit a nursing home or assisted living facility once
a month. Lead a sing-a-long, read aloud, give manicures, etc.
10. Plan a baby shower for the local crisis pregnancy center.
11. During September, supply a large box of doughnuts or other snacks
to the teachers’ lounge at a local school. Leave a note that
you are praying they will have a fantastic year.
12. Provide a snack basket for intensive care waiting room at hospital.
Stock with individually wrapped snacks. Keep supply of business cards
with church information. Be sure to get approval.
13. Adopt elderly shut-ins with limited income. Offer to do grocery
shopping, assist with housecleaning, etc.
14. Host a sandwich party. Set up assembly line. Deliver to homeless
shelter or park where homeless gather. Share the Good News.
15. Find a good location and offer a totally free car wash. Get plenty
16. Soft Drink giveaway. Set up on a well-traveled parking lot. Get
plenty of information cards printed.
17. Christmas gift-wrap. Plan for the weekend before Christmas. Malls
are also open to the idea of gift-wrapping at Valentine’s Day,
Mother’s Day and other gift-buying holidays.
18. Leaf Raking. Find yards with lots of leaves. Offer to rake and
19. Business Blast. Give candy or a flower to the employees of businesses
who usually serve others on holidays.
20. Grocery Bag Packing. Find a big discount grocer and approach
the manager with your idea. Great project that can be done any day
21. Giveaways. Explain to the store manager your vision for serving
the city. Situate yourself at entrance because on the way out customers
are anxious to get to their cars.
22. Wrap loaves of bread with information about your church. Be sure
to include scripture about "The Bread of Life.”
23. Distribute packs of light bulbs. "He is the Light of the
24. Take the gift of refreshment to construction workers.
25. Prepare doorknob hangers and blitz neighborhood with information
about your church. Include salvation scripture. International Bible
Society – Tel. 1-800-524-1588. Call for a catalog. Discounted
by the case.
26. During the Christmas holidays, distribute the Jesus film video.
Attach a bag of popcorn and gift card to invite them to have a movie
night on you (www.jesusvideo.org).
These are available for about $5.00 each and are available both in
English and Spanish.
27. Use holidays for inspiration. During Halloween, distribute goodie
bags with scriptures, etc., to children.
28. Collect and package backpacks with school necessities for needy
29. Host a "family day” and offer cost-effective digital
camera photos of each family present. Serve potluck meal.
30. Distribute bottled water at sports events. "He is the Water
31. Host an outdoor block party for children who live in a housing
development. Arrange for several "give aways” during your
32. Offer to decorate the doors of nursing home residents, especially
those who do not have family members to visit. Occasions: Valentine’s
Day, Fourth of July, Thanksgiving, birthdays and Christmas.